
Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, on Monday urged Nigeria and the United States to pursue diplomatic solutions following U.S. President Donald Trump’s controversial threat of possible military action against Nigeria.
Trump’s comments, made after America designated Nigeria a “Country of Particular Concern” over alleged religious persecution, have stirred unease in diplomatic circles and heightened tension between both nations.
In a statement on his verified X handle, Obi said the U.S. pronouncement and Trump’s remarks should not be taken lightly, warning that such rhetoric could worsen Nigeria’s already fragile security situation.
“The recent pronouncement by the U.S. government declaring Nigeria a ‘Country of Particular Concern’ and indicating possible military action should give every well-meaning Nigerian serious concern,” Obi said.
Citing reports by Amnesty International, the former Anambra State governor lamented that more than 10,000 Nigerians had been killed since May 2023, describing the figure as “unprecedented” and a reflection of government failure to protect lives and property.
“There is no doubt that Nigeria is experiencing an unprecedented level of insecurity with attendant carnage and the most shocking loss of lives and property. The unwarranted and unprovoked killing of Nigerians is most condemnable, and all efforts must be made to bring it to a stop,” he said.
While acknowledging that the security crisis predates the current administration, Obi blamed the All Progressives Congress-led government for what he described as its “lack of competence, patriotism, and prudent leadership.”
However, he warned against any form of external military intervention, insisting that Nigeria and the U.S. must remain strategic partners in promoting peace through dialogue and mutual respect.
“As democracies, Nigeria and the U.S. have long been strategic partners committed to regional peace and security. That relationship should not falter. The present situation calls for constructive diplomatic engagement by both nations aimed at addressing the prevailing security concerns,” Obi said.
Analysts say the controversy, if not carefully managed, could strain bilateral relations between the two countries, especially amid renewed U.S. scrutiny of Nigeria’s human rights record and religious freedoms.
Akpabio disowns fake post
Meanwhile, the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, on Monday, distanced himself from a viral social media post purportedly mocking Trump over his warning of potential military intervention in Nigeria.
Last weekend, Trump, in a post on his Truth Social platform, accused the Nigerian government of allowing the killings of Christians and warned that Washington could “go in guns-a-blazing” if the attacks continued. He also threatened to halt all U.S. aid to Nigeria, directing the “Department of War” to prepare for “possible action.”
In a statement issued in Abuja by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio described the viral post as “completely fabricated, malicious, and reckless.”
0 Comments